Lead Communications Specialist
Garrison Hughes is looking for a full-time Lead Communications Specialist to work exclusively with our client at UPMC. As a Lead Communications Specialist, you will assist the director/senior manager/manager in writing and producing medical and health care content to increase awareness of UPMC’s clinical/research expertise and innovations among a physician audience. You may also write consumer-oriented copy on a variety of medical and healthcare-related topics.
As a Lead Communications Specialist, you will serve as a key writing resource, developing new content, including research, interviews with experts, copy development, editing, and production across digital and print platforms, as needed.
- Work closely with Director/Senior Manager/Manager to develop strategic communications to raise brand awareness among national and regional physicians, clinicians, and consumers.
- Independently plan, research, conduct interviews, and write copy that is concise, well organized, stylistically appropriate to the audience and purpose, and conforming to department style rules.
- Write clear, concise synopses of complex medical content.
- Coordinate the work of contributing marketing staff and freelancers, including editing and proofreading their copy.
- Take responsibility for approvals and accuracy of information communicated.
- Manage projects of increased complexity, sensitivity, or importance to the organization, or edit major publications.
- Manage the development and production of marketing communications projects for UPMC programs, including print collateral, videos, and digital content.
- Provide guidance to communications specialists and summer associates on writing and marketing communications projects and processes.
- Oversee graphic design and production process (including printing) so that projects are appropriate for the audience and message. Implement brand standards and ensure timely delivery of projects.
- Monitor budget and manage the distribution and delivery of projects. Complete projects on time and within budget.
- Handle multiple tasks simultaneously and prioritize projects appropriately.
- Demonstrate service-oriented behavior in interactions with clients and co-workers.
- Perform in accordance with system-wide competencies/behaviors.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in English, journalism, communications, health sciences, or a related field.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in health care/medical writing or related field.
- Must have excellent communication, organizational, research/interviewing, writing, editing, and interpersonal skills, as well as knowledge of traditional and digital marketing best practices.